Interested in Dental Implants? You’ve come to the right place! Bayside Family Dental can help you get the perfect implant.
What are Dental Implants?
A dental Implant is a connection at the jaw bone to fix and support a dental prosthesis such as a crown, bridge or denture forming an anchor. The basis of a dental implant is a biological method called Osseointegration, which is the bonding of the implant within the bone through materials such as Titanium.
The general process is as follows:
1. Implant fitting is located and fixed to the area required.
2. The dental Prosthesis is then fitted into the Implant.
Healing time can be variable in all cases and will determine how quickly the dental prosthesis can be fixed into place.
Main surgical procedures
The basic implant surgical procedure is as follows:
1. Locate area with a single missing tooth
2. An incision is made across the gingiva, and the flap of tissue is reflected to show the bone of the jaw.
3. Once the bone is exposed, a series of drills create and gradually enlarge a site (called an osteotomy) for the implant to be placed.
4. The implant fixture is turned into the osteotomy. Ideally, it is completely covered by bone and has no movement within the bone.
5. A healing abutment is attached to the implant fixture, and the flap of gingiva is sutured around the healing abutment.
6. A period of time for recovery is given for gum healing
7. Fixed implant is fitted and adjusted to suit.
The picture below indicates a normal tooth anatomy on the left and a custom implant assembly on the right.